05/20/2020 — Leadership Update As of May 15, Keyana Jones started her term as a new board member. As of April 30, Kamilah Crawley ended her term on the board of directors, but has accepted a role as a Visiting Presenter. Khalil Maasi has accepted our invitation to become a formal Visiting Teacher with NCMC as of May 15.
04/08/2020 — NCMC Awarded First Grants The Victoria Foundation Fund and the TNI Fund (in partnership with Greater Newark LISC) granted $1000 and $400 respectively for NCMC to provide free online programs citywide and to specific neighborhoods in both English and Spanish in response to the Covid19 situation.
03/26/2020 — Free OnLine • OnDemand DISTANCE PRACTICE Offerings in April: For Prevention, Immunity, Well-Being and Practice Development: Preventive Meditation Medicine • Mindfulness Meditation & Qigong for Immunity • Basic Mini-Meditations in Spanish. Get Details.
03/26/2020 — Mentoring by Phone/Email: Individual Meditation Guidance. This limited-time free offering is available starting now through the end of April. Once weekly for up to four weeks by phone and/or email. To apply, contact us at email@example.com and we will connect you.
03/26/2020 — Volunteer Opportunities: Work in Word in English • English to Spanish Translator
We need help in any of these ways in preparing spanish-language documents:
1. Translate three light-content files in english to spanish.
2. Format the translation into the same design as the english version. (Need not speak spanish, but proficient in Word.)
3. Reformat a trilingual Doc into a spanish-only Doc. (Minor design skills requiired.)
03/18/2020 — We will be providing virtual Online Teachings and Personal Meditation Consultations as requested while we are experiencing social distancing. Please check our blog and Facebook and Instagram pages for updates.
03/14/2020 — To support the effort to contain the spread of Covid19 we are closing our center to the public until further notice. All current programs and those upcoming through April are postponed.
02/07/2020 — Co-founder and chair of Newark Center of Meditative Culture, Marcie Barth, was interviewed by Kathryn Davis, host of the Heart of Mind program on Free Speech Radio WBAI 99.5FM in New York. The interview gives in a nutshell the work of NCMC.
9.5 MIN LISTEN
01/31/2020 — Volunteer Opportunities: February 23rd Retreat
1. Hands-On Support for morning check-in and set-up, lunch service, and afternoon break-down.
2. Event Photographer Not necessary to be a professional. Professionals: no watermarks, credit/tag only on original posts of photos, free usage to NCMC.
3. Vegetarian Lunch Caterer. We can provide minor financial support for groceries. Your logo/support noted 1x minimum across all NCMC social media.
4. Flyer Distribution Know any places at work or in shops that you can post flyer? (You will need to print.)
01/31/2020 — Volunteer Opportunities: Annual Fundraising Event
1. Event Planners needed for our 6-month Committee through June working with our board members.
2. Planner Support to help with various functions during the Committee process.
01/27/2020 — New Volunteer Staff Welcome to Tenisha Malcolm-Wint in her position as Social Media Coordinator and Vijay Dharmapuri in her position as Bookkeeper.
01/27/2020 — Board Update In December Jennifer Becher ended her term on the board of directors and Andrew Coombs began his term as a board member and Chair of the Finance Committee.
01/14/2020 — NEW! Meditation & Mindful Movement Classes: 10-week Series Ongoing Tuesdays | Jan 7- March 10 | 6:30 to 7:45pm | 2 Park Place. Come as you can. Family friendly. Spanish translations as needed. Donation-based. GET DETAILS
01/14/2020 — NEW! Weekly SANGHA SITTINGS: Ongoing Tuesdays | 5:30 to 6:15pm | 2 Park Place. 45-minute self practice for serious meditators to support each other and our community. Donation-based. GET DETAILS
01/06/2020 — Committed, Experienced Volunteers Needed:
1. Administrative Assistant to Board Secretary who is detail oriented, good at filing and fulfilling tasks regularly.
2. Content Provider/Poster who can apply to posts across our social media on a regular basis.
3. Graphic Designer for social media posts, flyers, and program schedules for our weekly programs, workshops, and retreats.
4. Grant Writer to help us pro bono write and develop our first grant applications.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
01/06/2020 — Save the date for our February 23rd DAY-LONG RETREAT: Community Building with Clarity & Compassion. Participate Full-Day or Half-Day. Youths welcome for free. Suggested donation scale: $0-$30. GET DETAILS
01/06/2020 — Test out the last two classes of the Tai-Chi Fall Class Series on Wednesday January 8th and 15th from 6:30 to 7:20pm. $15 per class. Next series begins in March. GET DETAILS
01/06/2020— Join our Meditation & Mindful Movement Winter Classes on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 7:45pm January 7th through March Donation-based. GET DETAILS
10/20/2019 — Register for our Tai-Chi Fall Classes a six-week series on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:20pm starting November 6th. Fee-based. GET DETAILS
10/20/2019 — Join our Meditation & Mindful Movement Fall Classes on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 7:45pm through December. Donation-based. GET DETAILS
10/20/2019 — Our first Men’s Retreat Day will be held on Sunday, November 10 offsite at Index Art Center. 10am-4pm, full or half day. For men and youths 14+. Donation-based. Youths come for free. GET DETAILS
10/01/12019 — We welcome you to visit our first home at 2 Park Place Newark NJ. Open limited hours in October on Tuesdays from 6:00 to 9:00 pm with meditation from 6:30 to 7:45pm.